In April 2014, coders, journalists and activists met in Santiago Chile for PoplusCon. This international conference was Poplus' first major event.
The aims were to kickstart the federation and to agree its founding principles; both aims were emphatically achieved!
After the conference, Poplus had defined a clear direction for its future. We'd also discussed a number of topics highly relevant to Poplus' mission of shared civic coding.
You can find out more by exploring the notes from each of the conference sessions, and the follow-up blog posts of delegates. We've linked to all of them below.
Four PoplusCon sessions focused on basic definitions and criteria for Poplus. These are the notes you should read if you want a clear understanding of the decisions that are now being acted on:
- What are Poplus Components?
- What Poplus Components should exist?
- What do we want from Poplus as a Federation?
- Final Big Questions for Poplus
- Let's build an international vote schema
- Talk more. Code less
- Apps vs. APIs
- Participative Legislation — How to Crowdsource Law Drafting
- Bug tracking for politicians
- Apps and platforms for monitoring the legislative and political processes - how to research impact
- PayIt: Do we need a budgetary component?
- Docker - Is this the way to make Poplus components super easy to install?
- What should the characteristics of the PopIt API be?
- Open Data Standards
- Webscraping with morph.io
- Building/maintaining Developer Communities for our projects
- Innovative Tools for including more voices and inclusive outreach
- Billab.io -- collaborative bill writing
- Apps to the street: How do we get more users to use our apps?
- How should document storage work on Billit?
- User Experience (UX) research
- Mapping/modeling relationships between people
- Hack Democracy
- Rapid Web Visualisations with d3plus
- Post-conference networking - how to ensure we all keep connected
- A Federation is Born Tom Steinberg from mySociety
- PoplusCon and a Million Possibilities Martín Szyszlican, Congreso Interactivo
- PoplusCon: Lowering the Tech Barriers for Civic Startups Eilís O'Neill, Tech President
- Highlights from the first-ever PoplusCon in Santiago James Turk, Sunlight foundation
- Santiago, Chile 2014: the first ever Poplus conference and PoplusCon on Storify Myf Nixon, mySociety
- PoplusCon y miles de posibilidades Martín Szyszlican, Congreso Interactivo
- Compartiendo el código: Poplus y la Programación Cívica Fabrizio Scrollini, DATA
- Poplus - 世界公民黑客社群大亂鬥 Chia-liang Kao, g0v.tw